Position: Video Operator Technician
Reports to: Engineer in Charge
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: No
The Video Operator Technician is responsible for technical video duties in support of broadcast production. This is a technical position. You will deliver network level visual results in shading during live broadcasts over as many as seven cameras simultaneously. You must have proven experience as a broadcast shader, video engineer and technician. You must be technically oriented and have a desire to learn more about the technical ecosystem.
You will be a vital member of the Gravity Media Las Vegas team and represent our team values.
● Communication – we value direct, constructive communication and strive to communicate effectively
● Attitude – we know our positive mindset leads to success
● Professionalism – we aim for excellence in our skills and our behavior toward each other and our client
● Fortitude – we are steadfast in our can-do approach especially in dynamic, high pressure situations
● Trust – our shared vulnerability, especially when learning something new, is the foundation of our camaraderie
● “Sin”ergy – our Vegas brand of teamwork means our combined power as a team is stronger than the total power of us as individuals
Expectations and responsibilities
● Work consistently at a high level, accurately, efficiently under pressure
● While self motivated, must have a team-centric mindset
● Adapt to changing priorities including last minute program changes
● Maintain professional standards of behavior with Gravity staff, client personnel and talent
● Possess superior communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with team members, non-technical persons and clients. You should be superb at distilling down complex concepts and ideas.
● Think precisely and remain calm under pressure
● Maintain knowledge of technology trends, standards, and methodologies
What you’ll be doing
● Taking direction from the local Engineer in Charge as you work within a highly skilled technical broadcast team in a fast paced, network level facility
● Fault finding in real time to solve for unexpected technical issues during network level broadcasts
● Operating RCP units during broadcast
● Color control and shading of 5 studio broadcast cameras during live and live to tape
● Operating, including color shading, of 5 of robotic cameras
● Coordinating and communicating with lighting for desired results during broadcast
● Coordinating and communicating with on-site studio camera operators and remote production team
● Providing technical reports and general status for each project
● Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and knowledge base
● Minimum 3 years video experience of increasing responsibility and skill in a broadcast environment
● Demonstrated knowledge and high level hands-on experience with broadcast camera equipment, including complete camera chains.
● Understanding of waveform monitors should be exceptional and ability to communicate their use is a must
● Detailed understanding of color correction and color matching for broadcast and the ability to convey that understanding as it relates to lighting
● Experience with live and recorded remote broadcast transmission technologies and systems
● Familiarity of associated broadcast production systems (signal processing, cameras, switchers, audio mixers, intercom, encoders/decoding, feeds, master control, automation, server-based playback and transmission systems, etc.) a plus
● Broadcast training from SONY, LAWO, Dante, EVERTZ, RTS and ClearCom preferred
● Familiarity with Autocad and Vizio desired
● Excellent soldering skills and precise skills in terminating various types of cable
● Prior experience in the installation, programming and maintenance of production and broadcast equipment and related IT and IP hardware is a bonus.
● Education or training in broadcast TV production
● Ability to sit, reach outward or above the shoulder, stand, walk, handle with fingers, stand, bend, and stoop.
● Ability to effectively use communication headset
● Ability to manipulate small equipment efficiently and quickly under pressure
● Ability to operate a keyboard, view a video display terminal screen, ability to use telephone equipment.
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and push or pull up to 25 pounds.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $30.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
Work Location: One location