THE FORCE OF GRAVITY
Gravity Media exists to create world-class content that inspires and excites. Our 500 people serve clients in all markets, from sport and media to news and entertainment, working all over the world from bases in the UK, Australia, USA, France, Germany and Qatar. We are driven by client service excellence. We’re always looking and listening, keeping up with the latest broadcast innovations – or pioneering them. Above all, we channel our energy into maintaining our reputation for flawless execution, deep technical expertise and efficient delivery.
OUR BRAND PROMISE
We use the collective power of our people and resources to capture, craft and create – putting our clients at the centre of our universe. We are expert, innovative and reliable, a guiding force in a complex world. It’s what we bring together that sets us apart.
We are thrilled to be recruiting the first round of top talent into our brand-new Production Hub. Our next-generation Production Hub housed in The Westworks building is a creative and technology leading media hub made up of production, post-production, and live studios. Our teams will be able to be part of this high-energy, top tier environment, working alongside teams creating top quality content.
Our Chief Facility Engineer will lead the team of Engineers within the Westworks facility, ensuring our studios, production galleries and facility support environments are operated and maintained at the highest standards by the team.
They will work closely with the engineering and technology leaders as well as the Engineering Supervisor and the Engineering team and will guarantee the technical integrity and output of The Westworks facility, whilst being the key technical lead for the facility, supporting and driving the handover of the site from build to operate and maintain.
The ideal candidate would also be customer facing and a key player in scoping and defining solutions for delivery of productions through the facility, when on premise or as a remote production.
• Line management for the Engineering Supervisor and Engineering Team.
• Working closely with other key stakeholders across the business to help shape and define the operation and capability of The White City Production Centre.
• Investigate new technology, systems and working practice, working closely with The Westworks Engineers and Senior Engineers, to improve business efficacy and process.
• Working closely with other teams (Suppliers, Clients, Post-Production, Production, Archive, New Business, etc.) to establish and maintain good working practices within the Facility.
• Support and drive the next generation of engineering talent into the industry and company by supporting and developing/driving our strategy to engage with school & college level students, undergraduates and graduates. This will include managing ad hoc placements, apprenticeships, formal internship placements, and graduate roles.
• Understanding of the commercial interests of the facility
• Assisting with delivering contract on budget
• Assisting with facility pricing
• Assisting with overall facility strategy including commercial and technical direction
Adhering to our company H&S policy and ensuring that all company risk assessments are observed where applicable to your role, taking ownership of improvements and escalating concerns where necessary.
Contribute to the continual improvement of our management systems to ensure compliance with our legal obligations and maintain certification.
Related degree or equivalent experience
• Core vision engineering, around both SDI and IP 2110 systems, including HD and UHD payloads
• A solid understanding of timing signals and techniques for broadcast video and audio systems, baseband and IP
• A solid understanding of IP, including addressing, subnetting, Layer 2 and 3, as well as multicast.
• Good operational knowledge of live production workflows and MCR operations.
• Strong operational knowledge of EVS Cerebrum
• Good experience with Grass Valley IP product, including UCP Gateway cards, Multiviewers and switchers
• Good knowledge and experience of IP KVM and PCoIP technologies
• Experience if EVS replay servers and associated PAM and file gateway process
• Good knowledge of file codecs and wrappers, edit workflows in Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere as well as storage systems and bandwidth requirements.
• Experience of tally systems, production talkback and signal package management and shuffling
• Experience of systems integration and installation as well as good documentation and drawing skills.
• Significant relevant experience with at least 3 years in a senior broadcast engineering role
• Experience of line management of a team of engineers of varying capabilities and skillsets
• Good industry knowledge and existing relationships with key broadcast manufacturers.
• A can-do attitude with a pleasant professional approach, willing to be hands on to support the team if required.
• Accommodating to varying hours of work dictated by production requirements.